True to the Eurovision style: Shallow analysis on the Scandinavian participators

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 10:54 PM
Hi you euroviisu enthusiasts on the opposite edges of our continent! I'm really thrilled to see tonight's show, although I'm quite badly prepared this spring. Well, at least I'll have something to look forward to, since I haven't heard all the songs yet. Anyway, I briefly have to comment on the Scandinavian participation in this year's contest.

Firstly and not that I'm taking any sides, Finland's song is sounding better the more I listen to it. In the national contest earlier this spring I thought that Waldo's sounded bland and old fashioned (I'm not too keen on the nineties' style) but now I have started to think that the song really works and even the video in all its simplicity is good. The hectic dance beat works for me for the first time since Darude's Sandstorm.

Sweden trusts on glamour this year, although I think that the show is above all a humoristic one. The singer looks like she really is not serious about the whole thing. This song would suite perfectly in a drag show (to be honest, I first though it really was one:)- in all its glitter and pompousness. Anyway, I like this kind of kitsch.



Norway's Alexander is a hottie, the show is energetic and happy. Perhaps I'm too old, because in all the trendyness and bursting energy for me it feels a bit unfocused, somehow too much. Denmark's song is a refreshing back-to-basics love song, which they often offer in these arenas, but there's nothing particular in the song. Not a winner, I think. Iceland is on the same track, but the girl is a good singer and a joy for the (male) eyes. Where does this small nation find these interesting, strong artists year after year? But the classic ballad will not be in the top three, I anticipate.

Anyway, the Scandinavians will do well in the competition 'cause all the shows are produced carefully. Perhaps the final umph is missing, but you never know until the points start to gather on the chart. Have fun tonight!

0 comments

Post a Comment